The Vine is a community of people lingering with God, learning from God
and loving like God together in Humansdorp, Jeffreys Bay and St Francis Bay.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Meditation Monday - The Unforced Rhythms of Grace

I don't know how many of you have seen the movie The Mission, but there's a scene where a Robert de Niro's character is struggling with a huge burden of things that he is carrying up a mountain. He is struggling to get to the top of the mountain. And then the ropes are suddenly cut away and he's free.

Are you feeling like the camel just before the last straw? Or maybe even after the last straw?

Jesus doesn't want that for you:

He says:

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28-30 (MSG)
Rebecca St James sings a beautiful song about this called Quiet You with My Love:

Come to me, all who are weary
And I will give you rest
...

Lay your head down on my shoulders
Be still my child, rest a while

And I'll quiet you with my love
Rejoice over you with my song, with my song
...

Perhaps you should read through what Jesus says again. It's for you, too.

No comments: