The Vine is a community of people lingering with God, learning from God
and loving like God together in Humansdorp, Jeffreys Bay and St Francis Bay.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Friends Friday: He ain't Heavy, He's my Brother

Some of my favourite verses in the bible come from the wisdom literature. This includes Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.

I'm thinking about friendship today, and I realised that carefully chosen close friends help me to guard my heart:

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. ~ Proverbs 4:23 NIV

I believe that it's so important to get good, godly men and women around you as you grow in your journey with God. The Bible has some things to say about this:

9-10 It's better to have a partner than go it alone.
Share the work, share the wealth.
And if one falls down, the other helps,
But if there's no one to help, tough!

11 Two in a bed warm each other.
Alone, you shiver all night.

12
By yourself you're unprotected.
With a friend you can face the worst.

Can you round up a third?
A three-stranded rope isn't easily snapped. (
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, The Message) emphasis mine

The journey with Jesus can sometimes be hard - in Psalm 23, the psalmist talks about walking through the valley of the shadow of death. That walk-through can be really tough. Godly friends walk with you and their friendship can be like a mini-oasis in the desert.

9 Just as lotions and fragrance give sensual delight, a sweet friendship refreshes the soul. (Proverbs 27:9, The Message)

Friends keep you grounded and accountable. I trust my close friends always to tell me the truth, even when it hurts.

Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses. ~ Proverbs 27:6 NIV

When I'm not sure about what to do, I ask my godly friends to help me think it through. They help me get perspective and I don't feel so alone.

The godly give good advice to their friends; the wicked lead them astray. ~ Proverbs 12:26

My close, godly friends love me come what may. I was thinking about this as I watched The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. There's a scene at the end where Frodo, who is trying to complete his mission, collapses. His dear friend Samwise Gamgee (Sam) holds him and talks to him about the things that bring him joy - his beautiful home and how it will be springtime soon.



And then...



Sam looked at him and wept in his heart, but no tears came to his dry and stinging eyes. "I said I'd carry him, if it broke my back," he muttered, "and I will!"
"Come, Mr. Frodo!" he cried. "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you and it as well. So up you get! Come on, Mr. Frodo dear! Sam will give you a ride. Just tell him where to go, and he'll go." ~ The Return of the King: "Mount Doom," p. 218 emphasis mine
A friend loves at all times... Proverbs 17:17a NIV

...even the hard times...when they have to carry you. Cultivate some godly friendships on this God-journey. You won't regret it.

No comments: