The Vine is a community of people lingering with God, learning from God
and loving like God together in Humansdorp, Jeffreys Bay and St Francis Bay.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Friends Friday - The Word

Today's blog is from a friend of The Vine from the Kwa-Zulu Natal Midlands in SA. Peter is a pastor there along with his beautiful wife, Edelgard. Their children are all grown up and have their own families. He originally trained as an architect and he designed the lovely home that they live in. A recent anniversary present reveals the depth of love between the couple, a lovely flower garden that Peter planted for Eddie. You can listen to more of his sermons here.

The Bible, the Holy Scriptures. Touched my life. Changed my life. Directs my life. Comforts me and counsels me.

As we look at the bible, it's like a diamond. We're familiar with the wonderful facets of a diamond. Take an engagement ring or diamond and look at it in the sunlight and it reflects so many different, radiant, brilliant, dazzling, blinding, colours. One diamond. One stone. And yet the facets reflect so many different and dazzling and brilliant colours. When I mentioned the word 'diamond' to my congregation, a number of the ladies smile. What's that song? 'A diamond is a girl's best friend'? The bible is my best friend. I want to show you some facets, some aspects, of the Word of God.

The first thing that I want to mention is the divine Word. The spoken Word. The Word that was spoken before there was anything. And when it was spoken, there was something.

Of course, I'm referring to the first chapter of our Bible. When God spoke the universe into existence. The first thing that He said was 'Let there be light.' And there was light. And so God illuminated the universe with the light of His truth. It wasn't the same light that we get from sunlight. That came a little later when He made the sun and the moon and the stars. But right there in the beginning, He separated light from darkness. And as I read my Bible - as God speaks into my life through the agency of His Holy Spirit - He separates light from darkness and He illuminates my way. So there is that 'creation Word'. In Genesis 1:3 it says
And God said, 'Let there be light.' And there was light.
I like that.

Then there is the written Word. This particular sermon was written for a Sunday when Bibles for Believers were sharing at our church. Please click through to find out more about the great work that they are doing.

The first record of a written word in the Bible is in Exodus 24:12,
The Lord said to Moses, 'Come up the mountain to me and while you are here, I will give you two stone tablets which contain all the laws which I have written for the instruction of the people.
So we have God's spoken Word in Genesis and then we get God's written Word in Exodus. He puts it down in writing. Sometimes businessmen - unfortunately it's occurring more and more today - ask that something is put down in writing. In the old days, you just shook hands, and you gave your word. 'I want that in writing, please.' 'I want to see it in black and white.' 'Sign on the dotted line.' Praise God! Not only did He speak His Word in Genesis, but in Exodus He got busy and He wrote His Word. 'This is what I have written.'

The other thing about God's word is the indispensible Word. It's found in Deuteronomy 8 but Jesus quotes it to none other than the devil in Matthew 4:4.
Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.
The bible is more essential for my survival than the bread on my table. This is a Word that gives to me eternal life.
But He answered and said, 'It is written, man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

We've had the spoken word, we have the written word, and we're told that the word of God is indispensible. We can tell the devil to his face, as Jesus did. But the wonder of wonders is in John 1:14:
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us and we beheld His glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
It was spoken, it was written and it became flesh. So we thank God, and at communion, we celebrate the Word that has become flesh.

Then there is the inspired Word in 2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the truth, rebuking error, correcting faults, and giving instruction for right living.
This is a living Word. It's the only book in the world that's alive.

When Adam was created, he was a magnificent clay sculpture. But he was dead. He had no life in him. He just lay there. Magnificent. Beautifully modelled. Beautifully structured. Wonderfully created. But dead. Until, as we read in Genesis 2:7,
And God breathed into his nostrils and he became a living soul.
That clay came alive. Pulsating, vibrant, vital, sensitive, alert, responding life!

This book is alive. Handle it with care. 2 Timothy 3:16 says the Word of God is God breathed. Theopneustos. Breathed of God. It has life in it. And all of us have had an experience of the living Word. That's why, when I read the bible, it speaks to me.

I've read the bible a number of times. I've just finished reading 2 Corinthians in my devotional times. I sometimes read other books or novels a number of times. I like to read military history. I've read a number of books a number of times, particularly the struggles in Africa. But I know what's coming. I know what the next chapter's going to be about. But with the Bible, I know what's coming, but it speaks to me afresh. It meets me today. It's not history. It's not even a newspaper. It's now! In the same way as if I was speaking to you now and you heard me, God's Word is alive and inspired by the Holy Spirit. It speaks to me now! And God knows where I'm at. He knows my experience. He knows my fears. My doubts. My ambitions. My aspirations. He knows the imaginings of my mind and soul and spirit. And He speaks to it by His living Word.

None of these can take precedence over the other. Finally, this is His saving Word. Romans 10:17 says
Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.
I don't know where you are today. I don't know if you have confidence of salvation or not, but, as you hear God's Word it brings faith into your life. It presents the Word, which is Christ. Christ, who died for you on the cross, paid the price for your sin and mine. It's the Word that saves us.

This is the precious Bible. The Holy Scriptures. With so many different facets shining brilliantly God's truth. The truth that sets us free.

Today, consider sponsoring this living Word of God for someone in Africa through Bibles for Believers.

No comments: