The Vine is a community of people lingering with God, learning from God
and loving like God together in Humansdorp, Jeffreys Bay and St Francis Bay.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Testimony Tuesday - The Kingdom's Pride & Joy

People brought babies to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. When the disciples saw it, they shooed them off. Jesus called them back. "Let these children alone. Don't get between them and me. These children are the kingdom's pride and joy. Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in." ~ Luke 18:15-17 (MSG)
For a long time, when people asked me to tell them the beginning of my God-story, I had no idea what to say. I don't have a radical 180 degree turning point experience like Mark, who had his drug addiction turn off like a lightswitch. I was just a little girl whose mom took her to holiday club at the church down the road.

Each day - aside from having an absolute blast - they would read to us from Pilgrim's Progress and they'd use felt figures and pictures as a story board. This is probably a bit outdated now for most, but I loved the story. Even as a small person, I identified clearly with Christian and his struggles on the journey to Mt. Zion.

And then one day, they invited us to choose Jesus as our friend. And I said yes. I seem to recall dragging my brother along with me!

Despite many ups and downs like Christian had in the story, I remain deeply grateful that those people didn't shoo me off. That I had the opportunity to accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of childhood and that I've had all these years to love & serve Him.

Give children the chance to hear your God-story and to choose Jesus as their friend. They are the kingdom's pride and joy.

No comments: